Many of the State Historical Society’s holdings are included in Merlin, the shared library catalog of the four University of Missouri campuses. The State Historical Society holds several books about the history of mining, mining accidents, and mining heritage in Missouri. To view a refined search on mining history in Missouri, simply add the subject term “Mining and Mineral Industries" to your search.
- Moses Austin - A prominent figure in Missouri’s mining history, Moses Austin was an important businessman and community builder on the American frontier. He improved transportation, trade links, and mining methods at sites such as Potosi in Washington County and Herculaneum in Jefferson County. Austin brought national attention to the mineral wealth of Missouri.
- Henry Rowe Schoolcraft - Henry Rowe Schoolcraft wrote the first published account of the Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks, introducing the region to worldwide audiences. In the summer of 1818 Schoolcraft arrived in Potosi, the heart of Missouri Territory’s lead mining region, and surveyed the area’s mining and smelting operations. Schoolcraft then wrote and published A View of the Lead Mines of Missouri.
- François Vallé - François Vallé was a successful businessman who became one of the most influential figures in colonial Ste. Genevieve. Before settling in Ste. Genevieve, Vallé employed others in the early 1740s to help him in a seasonal lead mining operation at Mine La Motte in what is now Madison County, Missouri. Vallé continued to invest in mining operations, but stopped mining himself by the late 1750s. He used the profits from his early mining and trading ventures to buy vast amounts of land.
The State Historical Society of Missouri's holdings contain the following photograph collections depicting the Mining and Mineral Industry of Missouri:
The vertical files contain magazine and newspaper clippings, handwritten information donated by patrons, bibliographies, programs, brochures, flyers, and other materials that, by reason of their physical formats, cannot be placed on the shelves with books. Materials on mining and mineral industry include:
- Mining-Mines and Mineral Resources-Missouri
- Mines and Mining-Missouri
- Mines and Mining-Missouri-Barite-Tiff
- Mines and Mining-Clay
- Mines and Mining-Coal
- Mines and Mining-Copper
- Mines and Mining-Gold
- Mines and Mining-Iron/Maramec Iron Works
- Mines and Mining-Lead
- Mines and Mining-Magnesium
- Mines and Mining-Radium
- Mines and Mining-Silver
- Mines and Mining-Zinc
- Mines and Mining-U.S.
- Mines and Mining-U.S.-Copper
- Mines and Mining-U.S.-Gold
- Mines and Mining-U.S.-Iron
- Mines and Mining-U.S.-Silver
- Mines and Mining-U.S.-Zinc